Sunday 18 March 2012

A Trip to the Attic

My eldest son came home from school the other day and said he had done some weaving in school. He asked for a cardboard box as wanted to replicate the work at home. This reminded me of my old loom. I got a loom for Christmas one year. Actually I asked for a loom. I had seen it on "The Late, Late Toy Show"! I asked my Dad to have a look in his attic to see if it was still  there. He found it today and in the bag with it were a number of other crafting projects I'd tried. I brought the bag home and set the loom up for my son. This is his work below. 


I only ever managed to complete one project on the loom. It was a bag. The unfortuate reason for this was that the wool I was given fot the project was extremly thin and it took ages.I haven't made the same mistake this time.




The bag also contained my old lace making set. I made a few small lace mats and bookmarks. Unfortunately I've none left to show you but for anyone who's interested here's my cushion and bobbins. I even remeber going into town to buy extra bobbins and beads.


I also found a piece of Broderie Anglaise (hopefully spellt correctly) I started. The idea for this came from a really old craft book my granny had given me. I still refer to this book when I get stuck. I never did any more of this but having seen it now I like the effect so you never know.

I have just realise how many different crafts I tried before study and social life got in the way. Now with 3 children to mind I spend plenty of evenings in and have begun to get very interested again. I've always got a few projects on the go or in my head waiting for their turn.

1 comment:

  1. Am really very impressed! not sure what I was doing during my youth...

    You should try that anglais thingy again, love the look of it - though looks like loads of work!

    ReplyDelete